Monday, January 1, 2007

Relactating: Day by Day


















From my journal:

5:40 PM Monday June 5, 2006-- Medela Symphony breastpump, Let-down phase (7 notches), Pumping phase (5 notches). Right breast only until 6:00 PM, then Left breast, same settings until 6:20 PM.

I have called my breasts back into service. Justin, 17 years, has recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I believe if my milk protected him the 1st time around it can also heal him now. This is an incredible sensation! Rusty pipe droplets at the tips of both nipples this 1st session.

8:55 PM Monday June 5, 2006--Medela Symphony breastpump, Let-down phase (6 notches), Pumping phase (4 notches). Both breasts at the same time until 9:15

I am having 5-7 let-downs as I pump. This is not only going to be good for Justin--it is going to be a rewarding journey for me. I know I can do this. My body is telling me so. More rusty pipe drops, some yellow as well.

12:00 AM Tuesday June 6, 2006--Medela Symphony breastpump, Let-down phase (5 notches), Pumping phase (4 notches). Both breasts at the same time until 12:35 AM

More rusty pipe and even a drop into the shield on my right breast.

3:05 AM Tuesday June 6, 2006--Medela Symphony breastpump, Let-down phase (7 notches), Pumping phase (4 notches). Both breasts at the same time until 3:35 AM

I am really tired at this pumping but want to keep going. I will do everything in my power to see Justin's gut healed. So far his spirits are good but he is not crazy about the idea of drinking his mother's milk! More rusty pipe.

6:15 AM Tuesday June 6, 2006--Medela Symphony breastpump, Let-down phase (6 notches), Pumping phase (4 notches). Both breasts at the same time until 6:35 AM

Dripping into the shield this time. One drop on right, 0 drops on left. Rusty pipe and some yellow.

0944-1005 Tuesday June 6, 2006--Medela Symphony breastpump, Let-down phase (7 notches), Pumping phase (5 notches). Both breasts at the same time.

This one I am anxious to get over with so not having the familiar 5-7 let-downs per pumping session. There is a technician in the house putting in our cupboards, so I am in Justin's bedroom sitting on the floor. Usually I pump either in bed or in the living room. Still rusty pipe colored but a drop in both shields. Nipples feel tender.

7:00-7:20 PM Wednesday June 7, 2006--Medela Symphony breastpump.

Took to work today. Pumped at 0930, 1245, 1545. 20 minutes each time. Am now getting some dripping down into the shields from both breasts. Resembles caramel topping and is very thick and sticky. I have been rinsing the shields with small amounts of plain tap water and collecting with a 10 ml eccentric tip syringe. Then I place this in a ziploc bag and put it in the refrigerator. Justin will have 8 syringes partially filled to add to a milkshake tonight. This probably represents no more than 2-3 ml rusty pipe milk. I am also noticing less let-downs per session. Maybe the novelty has worn off. Suction settings are now comfortable at 8-9 notches in the let-down phase and up to 12 (out of 16) in the pumping phase. But I have to notch it up gradually. Is it my imagination or is this pumping whiter and thinner? I will have to remember to wipe the shields dry.

9:50-10:10 PM Wednesday June 7--Medela Symphony breastpump, let-down phase (9 notches), pumping phase (15 notches). 5 total let-downs

Barely a drop this pumping but white in appearance. Did not save it. Gave Justin all 8-10 ml syringes to use in his milkshake. He accepted it without complaint.

12:35-12:55 AM Thursday June 8--Medela Symphony breastpump, let-down phase (5 notches), pumping phase (6 notches).

Nipples are really sore. Got only light moisture both nipple tips. Don't be discouraged!

No comments: